Friday, November 2, 2012

Coffee Sharpie Cup

Coffee Sharpie Cup


Supplies:
White coffee cup
sharpies EDIT** The lighter colors wash off.. use only black. 
oven


Step 1: Before you begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees!
Step 2: Decorate your cup however you want! And then put it in the oven for 30 minutes. When the 30 minutes is up, open the oven door but leave the cups in there, because you dont want to accidentally smudge the sharpie! Once you think its nice and cool, you can take them out. 

(I recommend hand washing this cup, because well, you never know)
Enjoy!
EDIT** When I made this, the only color that stayed on was the blue, and the brown turned into pink.. I suggest only using black.. 

5 comments:

  1. Do you have to use a certain your of glass dish to do this? I'm a little worried that it will break or shatter in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought mine at dollar tree. It was a dollar. If you want, you can probably buy a more expensive one at walmart. I havent heard of them shattering. But just dont make it too hot, and it shouldnt shatter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this and let mine set over night and the dark sharpy even washed off. What exactly are you supposed to do because it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did this and the only colors that altered were the orange, green, and yellow and they only turned a tiny bit duller, that's all. I used black, brown, blue, red, orange, yellow, and green and they mostly turned out perfectly the same shade. Maybe it's the type of Sharpie you used: not all Sharpies are created equal, believe it or not! Or maybe it's the oven. We just got a new oven and it's HEAVEN! That can make a difference, actually.

    For the mug, I would recommend Stoneware or Ceramics. If it was made in a kiln or a firepit, you're good. If it says "not microwave or dishwasher safe", then obviously you shouldn't put it in your oven :) Double-check the materials. Nothing should explode, but it could melt something fierce...

    I just did it, and the Sharpies smudged a bit when I took it out, so after some time to cure, I hope that fixes itself. I'm sure it will... Great craft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading some stuff and I think if you used the Sharpie Paints pens and seal them with either an acrylic bases clear coat or Modge Podge you will not have any bleeding or smearing what so ever. --Found that on Micheal's website.

    ReplyDelete